Low-Carb Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole (Video) – Kalyn’s Kitchen9 min read
Low-carb Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole is a lower-carb model of a super-popular casserole from the early days of my weblog! This model of Stuffed Cabbage Casserole with cauliflower rice as a substitute of rice will certainly be a success with stuffed cabbage followers who wish to restrict carbs.
PIN Low-Carb Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole to try it later!
Within the early days of my weblog my buddy Dolores despatched me her recipe for Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole, and it was a particular hit on the weblog, and it was one thing I usually made on the weekend within the days after I wanted issues to take to high school for lunch. Then as my focus shifted lower-carb cooking and consuming, I discussed within the recipe notes that you could possibly change out the rice in that casserole for cauliflower rice.
And eventually I attempted that variation on the recipe after and making this new Low-Carb Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole a number of occasions to get it proper I used to be so comfortable to share it on the positioning, and it was additionally an enormous hit. Anybody who likes stuffed cabbage however needs a better strategy to make it that’s additionally low in carbs goes to be a fan of this stuffed cabbage casserole recipe! And cabbage goes on sale in March, so at present I’m reminding you about this scrumptious casserole for my Friday Favorites decide this week!
This recipe does have a number of steps in comparison with some casseroles, however after we examined the recipe we had the concept of utilizing “steam-in-the-bag” frozen cauliflower rice for that a part of the preparation, and it saved a while.
And whereas this Stuffed Cabbage Casserole has a number of steps, it additionally makes a minimum of 8 servings, so there’s a lot to freeze and I like taking a container of this tasty casserole out of the freezer and reheating it for a fast dinner. I eat mine with a little bit bitter cream on prime, get pleasure from!
What substances do you want for this recipe?
(That is ONLY a listing of substances for the recipe; please scroll down for full printable recipe. Or in the event you use the JUMP TO RECIPE hyperlink on the prime of the web page, it’ll take you on to the whole recipe.)
- olive oil
- floor beef
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to style
- Minced Garlic (affiliate hyperlink)
- candy paprika, ideally Szeged Paprika (affiliate hyperlink) or different Hungarian Paprika
- Sharp Hungarian Paprika (affiliate hyperlink) or sizzling paprika, or use extra candy paprika in the event you want
- Dried Thyme (affiliate hyperlink)
- canned petite diced tomatoes
- canned tomato sauce (select the tomato sauce with the least sugar you’ll find)
- “steam within the bag” cauliflower rice (or any cauliflower rice you like)
- grated Mozzarella cheese
How is that this Stuffed Cabbage Casserole completely different from conventional stuffed cabbage?
Stuffed Cabbage is an japanese European dish the place partially cooked cabbage leaves are crammed with a stuffing that always consists of floor beef, rice, tomatoes, onions, and spices. On this recipe these conventional stuffed cabbage substances are layered in a casserole dish, for a much less labor-intensive model!
What in the event you don’t have each forms of paprika?
I like utilizing a mixture of candy paprika and sizzling or sharp paprika for this recipe, however in the event you solely have one kind I’m positive it’ll nonetheless be tasty. I’m a fan of Szeged Paprika (affiliate hyperlink) and that’s the one I all the time use when a recipe requires paprika!
How lengthy does the Stuffed Cabbage Casserole maintain?
This recipe makes eight servings, and it’ll maintain near every week within the fridge and might be reheated within the microwave or in a pan on the range. It additionally freezes nicely in a container with a tight-fitting lid.
Are you a cabbage fan?
In case you’re additionally a cabbage fan like I’m, try Low-Carb and Keto Recipes with Cabbage for extra tasty recipes.
Getting ready Elements for Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole:
(That is ONLY a abstract of the steps for the recipe; please scroll down for full printable recipe. Or in the event you use the JUMP TO RECIPE hyperlink on the prime of the web page, it’ll take you on to the whole recipe.)
- Preheat oven and spray a big deep casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Brown floor beef and season with salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Whereas beef browns, chop onion, put together garlic, and measure candy paprika, Sharp Hungarian Paprika or sizzling paprika, and Dried Thyme. Drain petite diced tomatoes.
- When the meat is browned, push it over, add extra oil if wanted, and brown onions. Then add garlic and spices and prepare dinner 1-2 minutes extra.
- Stir onion-spice combination into the bottom beef.
- Add petite cube tomatoes and tomato sauce to the beef-onion combination and let it simmer on low warmth whilst you put together cabbage and cauliflower.
- Chop a medium head of cabbage. You want about 10 cups chopped cabbage.
- Warmth olive oil in one other giant frying pan and prepare dinner the cabbage over medium-low warmth till cabbage is wilted and beginning to brown.
- In the meantime, prepare dinner one package deal (10.5 oz.) frozen cauliflower rice within the microwave. (The cauliflower rice will prepare dinner extra within the oven, so don’t get it too comfortable at this level.)
- In case you want to make use of recent riced cauliflower use 2.5 cups and microwave or prepare dinner in a frying pan with a little bit olive oil till it’s softened.
- Stir the cooked cauliflower rice into the bottom beef combination. Measure out the cheese.
Assembling and Baking Low-Carb Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole:
- Within the casserole dish make a layer with half the cooked cabbage.
- Put half floor beef-cauliflower rice combination over the cabbage.
- Prime that with half the grated cheese.
- Then make one other layer of cabbage, floor beef-cauliflower rice combination, and cheese.
- Bake Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole uncovered for about 40 minutes, or till the casserole is effervescent and cheese is melted and beginning to flippantly brown.
- Serve sizzling, and don’t be afraid so as to add a little bit bitter cream on prime like I do if that concept appeals to you!
- This freezes nicely or might be made forward and saved within the fridge to be reheated throughout the week
Extra Low-Carb Dinners with Cabbage:
Weekend Meals Prep:
This recipe has been added to a class referred to as Weekend Food Prep that can assist you discover recipes to prep or prepare dinner on the weekend and eat throughout the week!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 lb. floor beef
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to style
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 T minced garlic (garlic from a jar is ok for this)
- 2 tsp. candy paprika (ideally Hungarian Paprika, which frequently is available in a tin, see notes)
- 1 tsp. sharp or sizzling paprika, or use extra candy paprika in the event you want (ideally Hungarian Paprika, which frequently is available in a tin, see notes)
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes, drained right into a colander positioned within the sink
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce (select the tomato sauce with the least sugar you’ll find for low carbs)
- 1 10 oz. pkg. “steam within the bag” cauliflower rice (see notes)
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped to make about 10 cups chopped cabbage
- 3 cups grated Mozzarella cheese (see notes)
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Spray a 13″ x 8″ (or comparable measurement) deep casserole dish with non-stick spray or mist with olive oil.
- Warmth a few tablespoon of olive oil in a big frying pan over medium-high warmth. Crumble the pound of floor beef into the pan and prepare dinner, breaking up with a turner, till the meat is properly browned, about 8 minutes. Season with a little bit salt and fresh-ground black pepper.
- Whereas the meat cooks, chop onion, mince garlic (or measure garlic from a jar), and measure the candy paprika, sharp paprika, and thyme. Drain the petite diced tomatoes right into a colander positioned within the sink.
- When the meat is completed, push it over to the facet of the frying pan, add a little bit extra oil if wanted, add the chopped onion, and prepare dinner till onion is softened and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and spices and prepare dinner 1-2 minutes extra.
- Stir to mix the meat and onion combination. Then stir within the drained petite cube tomatoes and tomato sauce, scale back warmth to low, and let the combination simmer whilst you’re getting ready the cabbage and cauliflower rice. (Take the meat combination off the warmth if all of the liquid evaporates.)
- Chop the top of cabbage to make about 10 cups coarsely chopped cabbage. In one other giant, deep frying pan warmth a few tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high warmth. Add the cabbage and prepare dinner till the cabbage is softened and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Season cabbage with a little bit salt if you would like.
- Whereas cabbage cooks, microwave the ten.5 oz. package deal of frozen cauliflower rice within the package deal, following package deal instructions. We cooked it 4 minutes for the model we used. (In case you want to make use of recent riced cauliflower you may want about 2 1/2 cups. Put the cauliflower rice in microwave-safe container, cowl with cling-wrap, and prepare dinner 3 minutes. To prepare dinner on the range, you may want one other pan, or put the cabbage in a bowl and use that pan once more. Warmth about 1 T olive oil over medium-high warmth, add the riced cauliflower and prepare dinner, stirring a number of occasions, till the cauliflower is softened and a few of the liquid has evaporated as steam, about 4 minutes. You can additionally make The BEST Easy Cauliflower Rice and use a few of it to make this casserole and eat the remaining for an additional meal.)
- When the cauliflower is barely softened, stir it into the beef-onion combination. Measure out the cheese.
- Within the casserole dish make a layer of half the cabbage, half the meat-cauliflower rice combination, and half the cheese. Make a second layer of cabbage, meat combination, and cheese.
- Bake Low-Carb Deconstructed Cabbage Casserole uncovered for about 40 minutes, or till the combination is effervescent and the highest is beginning to barely brown.
- Serve sizzling. I like this with a dollop of bitter cream, strive that in the event you like bitter cream.
- This may maintain within the fridge for a number of days and might be reheated within the microwave or in a pan on the range. The casserole additionally freezes superbly to reheat later.
There are a variety of excellent spice purveyors that promote Hungarian Paprika, however for years I have been an enormous fan of Szeged Paprika (affiliate hyperlink) which might be bought on Amazon.
Utilizing the “steam within the bag” cauliflower made this simple, however use 2 1/2 cups riced recent cauliflower in the event you want. I do not promote merchandise for cost on my weblog, so Birds Eye hasn’t paid me to advertise their steam-in-the-bag Cauliflower Rice and so they don’t know I’m speaking about it right here!
Use kind of cheese to style. Use any white cheese that melts nicely.
This recipe is a low-carb model of the Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole recipe I obtained from my buddy Dolores a few years in the past.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 346Complete Fats: 23gSaturated Fats: 10gUnsaturated Fats: 11gLdl cholesterol: 84mgSodium: 503mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 27g
Vitamin info is routinely calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m utilizing. I’m not a nutritionist and can’t assure 100% accuracy, since many variables have an effect on these calculations.
Low-Carb Weight loss program / Low-Glycemic Weight loss program / South Seashore Weight loss program Strategies:
This Low-Carb Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Casserole is an efficient primary dish for low-carb or Keto Diets and it’s additionally nice for any section of the unique South Seashore Weight loss program.
Discover Extra Recipes Like This One:
Try Casserole Recipes for extra tasty casseroles like this one. You may additionally wish to comply with Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, on TikTok, or on YouTube to see all the nice recipes I’m sharing there.
Historic Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was posted in 2019. It was final up to date with extra info in 2022.
We’re a participant within the Amazon Companies LLC Associates Program, an affiliate promoting program designed to offer a way for us to earn charges by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated websites. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.